Sunday, January 22, 2012

Growing Pains Back to College after a Long Time Gone While Juggling the Demands of an 8 yr old and an 11 yr. old

  Life for the next month or three is going to be nuts. I have got homework and labs and each weekday  begins with the quest for impossible parking. I have an NCAA player in the making, and an Olympics contender on the verge- in the midst of my stuff my athletes need to be ferried to and from practices and competitions and fed something other than last night's pizza. 
     There is my homework, their homework, playdates and hangouts, and the constant challenge of keeping them in appropriate footwear that fits. And I can't forget the new kitten, the not so new puppy, the cats and the turtle and the dead bird in the shed, ( I have to find Whitey an everlasting home where Sophie won't rip him to shreds.)
      I have a lot on my plate, hell, I have a lot on my casserole dish that is roughly the size of Portland.
      So as I move through these days coming ahead, I will plan for the moments just after.
      When it's done, when grades are in, championships won or lost, animals buried or tossed, living animals getting along or banished to individual rooms, doctors seen, paperwork done, I am going to find me a night on the town.
     I don't want to do shots. I could care less about scintillating conversation. I don't need to dress up or eat morsels of strange food at ridiculous prices.
     I want to go to club where I've never been. I want to sip a cold drink, take my time. I want to be asked by a gentleman, who, when he asks will act like he isn't sure of my answer, for a dance. I will say yes. When I take his hand, the band will start playing just the right song. (I don't know what the right song will be but it will be Just. The. Right. Song.) And we will slow dance round that floor like we have all of the time in the world. And we will.
To Be Continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment